MICHAEL Review — A Rare Miss That I Still Recommend


The story of Michael Jackson is one almost everyone knows. His rise from a gifted young performer in the Jackson Five to becoming the King of Pop remains one of the most recognizable journeys in entertainment history. Unfortunately, MICHAEL did not tell that familiar story with the quality or refinement I expected.

This is not a film I completely disliked. Some moments capture the spectacle, music, and extraordinary ambition associated with Michael Jackson’s career. The material itself remains fascinating, and there is enough here for longtime fans and general moviegoers to find something worthwhile.

However, the overall execution left me wanting more.

Certain details appeared to be altered, simplified, or reshaped for the film, and some of those creative decisions prevented the story from feeling as complete or authentic as it should have. Every biographical film makes changes when adapting a real person’s life, but those changes still need to form a compelling and carefully constructed narrative. Here, the presentation frequently felt like it could have benefited from another layer of refinement.

For a story involving one of the most influential entertainers in history, I expected something more confident, emotionally powerful, and thoughtfully assembled. Instead, the film occasionally feels as though it is moving through familiar moments without exploring them with enough depth.

That makes MICHAEL an unfortunate and particularly rare miss for me.

Even with those criticisms, I am still willing to recommend the film. Michael Jackson fans will naturally be curious to experience this interpretation of his life, performances, and legacy on the big screen. Some individual sequences and ideas work better than the film does as a complete package.

Just keep your expectations measured.

MICHAEL is worth experiencing, but it falls short of becoming the definitive or deeply affecting Michael Jackson film that it had the potential to be. I walked away appreciating portions of what was presented while wishing the filmmakers had delivered a more polished, nuanced, and complete portrait of the King of Pop.

Final Verdict: A disappointing and rare miss, but one I cautiously recommend seeing and judging for yourself.

Read more reviews and entertainment coverage at www.carsonkellyblogs.com.

My Letterboxd review:
https://boxd.it/flmhXd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🌋 Avatar: Fire and Ash – A New Elemental Masterpiece Emerges with First Teaser Trailer

Fantastic Four: The First Steps — A Fantastic Film - Movie Review

PlayStation State of Play Returns September 24: What to Expect