The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered Review — One of Gaming's Greatest Adventures Is Better Than Ever

REVIEW CODE PROVIDED BY CD PROJEKT RED
Review Images and Videos Captured on PlayStation 5 Console in Performance mode.
Review access for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered was provided by CD PROJEKT RED. All screenshots and gameplay footage featured as part of my coverage were captured by me on PlayStation 5 while playing in Performance Mode.
There are some games you play for a few weeks, finish, put down, and eventually leave behind.
Then some games somehow become a journey spanning years.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has been the latter for me.
Before getting into this review, I want to extend a massive thank-you to CD PROJEKT RED for providing me with early access to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Remastered and giving me the opportunity to experience and review this new version ahead of release.
It genuinely means a lot.
And, strangely enough, receiving access to this remaster feels like another chapter in a Witcher journey that I began years ago and still haven't completely finished.
My original adventure with Geralt began on PlayStation 4.
I played for quite some time before eventually stepping away—not because I disliked the game, but simply because other releases and projects pulled my attention elsewhere. Eventually, during the early PlayStation 5 generation, I returned.
And Geralt's journey continued.
Now, years after beginning that original save, I'm experiencing another chapter of the very same adventure through The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered.
PS4.
PS5.
And now Remastered.
It's been quite the road.
Across my different experiences with The Witcher 3, I've accumulated roughly 75–100 hours with the game overall, including approximately 45–50 hours with this Remastered edition while preparing this review.
And after spending that amount of time wandering its forests, riding across its countryside, fighting monsters, and becoming reacquainted with its characters, I've reached a pretty straightforward personal conclusion:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered is, in my opinion, the best remaster I've played during the current console generation so far.
Not because it transforms The Witcher 3 into something unrecognizable.
Quite the opposite.
It understands exactly what made this game special in the first place.
(Image captured on my base PS5 Console)
Returning to a masterpiece
There isn't much that needs to be said about the legacy of The Witcher 3.
The original game earned its reputation through an enormous world, memorable characters, fascinating quests, and a level of storytelling that could make seemingly insignificant side adventures feel meaningful.
The Remastered edition doesn't attempt to replace that foundation.
It polishes it.
And that's an important distinction.
A great remaster should preserve the identity of the original while finding ways to make returning to it or discovering it for the first time feel at home on modern hardware.
That is where this edition has impressed me enormously.
There were moments during my playthrough when I simply stopped moving and looked around.
Not because something dramatic was happening.
Sometimes it was the light breaking through the trees.
Sometimes it was the atmosphere surrounding a settlement.
Sometimes it was the landscape stretching beyond Geralt.
And sometimes it was simply realizing that a game I've spent so many hours playing could once again make me stop and admire its world.

(Image captured on my base PS5 Console very early in my playthrough of the game)
A BEAUTIFUL WORLD MADE EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL
One of the things that immediately stood out to me was the presentation.
The lighting in particular can be gorgeous.
There is a noticeably different character to certain environments now. Sunlight, shadows, interiors, nighttime scenes, and weather can give familiar locations an entirely different atmosphere.
And atmosphere has always been one of The Witcher 3's greatest strengths.
This isn't a world that needs to constantly scream for your attention.
Sometimes its beauty comes from simply riding Roach down a dirt road while the wind moves through the trees.
Sometimes it's a storm.
Sometimes it's sunset.
Sometimes it's an uncomfortable darkness surrounding a monster contract.
The Remastered version allows those moments to shine again.
I've captured all of my footage and screenshots for this review directly from PlayStation 5, predominantly using the game's Performance Mode, and I've been extremely impressed with the experience.
PERFORMANCE MODE & NEW UPGRADES HIGHLIGHTS!
This has been my preferred way to play.
Performance Mode feels wonderfully smooth.
For an adventure of this scale—one where you're constantly traveling, fighting, exploring settlements and moving through large environments—that fluidity makes a meaningful difference.
Combat feels responsive.
Exploration feels smooth.
Moving through the world feels natural.
And after dozens of hours, I rarely found myself wanting to abandon Performance Mode simply for prettier screenshots.
That speaks volumes.
Visual fidelity is important, particularly in a remaster, but responsiveness matters enormously in a game you're potentially going to spend another hundred hours playing.
Here, I think Performance Mode provides an excellent way to experience the adventure.
GERALT'S WORLD STILL FEELS ALIVE
Technical improvements wouldn't matter nearly as much if the game underneath them hadn't aged well.
Thankfully, this is still The Witcher 3.
And its world remains remarkable.
Villages feel lived in.
Cities feel busy.
Forests can be beautiful one moment and deeply unsettling the next.
Monster contracts still provide some of the game's most interesting smaller stories.
And quests routinely provide enough narrative context that they feel like actual adventures rather than items being crossed off a checklist.
That's something I've appreciated even more while returning to the game years later.
Modern games have become enormous.
But size and substance aren't necessarily the same thing.
The Witcher 3 understood that long ago.
Its greatest achievement isn't simply that there's a tremendous amount to do.
It's that I frequently want to do it.
THE CHARACTERS ARE STILL THE HEART OF THE EXPERIENCE
Geralt remains one of my favorite parts of this world.
He's surrounded by an equally memorable cast, and returning to these relationships after spending so long working through this playthrough has made certain reunions hit differently.
Ciri in particular remains essential to the emotional backbone of the story.
One of the videos accompanying my Remastered coverage will feature the reunion between Geralt and Ciri, and experiencing that sequence again reinforced something important about The Witcher 3:
Underneath the monsters, politics, magic and enormous open world is a deeply personal story.
The spectacle matters.
But the people are what make the journey worth remembering.
COMBAT AND EXPLORATION
The Witcher formula remains wonderfully distinctive.
Preparing for creatures, learning what you're facing, using Signs, oils, potions and Geralt's arsenal gives combat an identity beyond simply swinging a sword until something stops moving.
And although plenty of games have arrived since the original release, there's still something immensely satisfying about taking another contract, investigating what happened and gradually discovering exactly what kind of creature you're hunting.
That loop remains compelling.
Exploration benefits enormously from the technical improvements as well.
When movement feels smoother and environments look better, you're naturally encouraged to spend more time wandering.
And I certainly did.
45–50 HOURS LATER...
This wasn't a situation where I played two hours of the remaster, looked at the graphics and called it a review.
I've spent approximately 45–50 hours with this version while preparing my coverage.
And the longer I played, the more impressed I became.
That's important because remasters sometimes make an incredible first impression before the novelty disappears.
Here, the improvements became part of the experience.
Eventually I stopped thinking:
"I'm playing the remaster."
I was simply playing The Witcher 3 again.
And that's probably one of the greatest compliments I can give it.
The technology stopped being the attraction.
The adventure took over.
A JOURNEY THAT ISN'T OVER
This review also isn't the end of my coverage.
There is considerably more Witcher ahead.
I'll be publishing additional articles later this year discussing my experience with the Remastered versions of the game's expansions and other elements that deserve considerably more attention than I could reasonably squeeze into one already enormous review.
I also intend to eventually experience New Game+, which should provide another fascinating opportunity to return to this world from a completely different perspective.
Because there's a difference between reviewing a game and explaining why something has stayed with you.
This review is about the former.
That future episode will be about the latter.
FINAL THOUGHTS
My Witcher journey began on PlayStation 4.
It continued onto PlayStation 5.
And now, years later, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered has given me another reason to continue an adventure that somehow still isn't finished.
There's something strangely fitting about that.
Games change.
Hardware changes.
Generations come and go.
But every once in a while, a game survives all of it.
The Witcher 3 is one of those games.
The Remastered edition doesn't rewrite what made the original extraordinary.
It doesn't need to.
Instead, it takes one of gaming's great adventures, carefully brings it forward, and gives its world another opportunity to shine.
After approximately 45–50 hours with this edition, I consider The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Remastered the finest remaster I've personally played during this console generation so far.
It's smoother.
It's more beautiful.
Its lighting can be stunning.
Its world remains extraordinary.
Its characters remain unforgettable.
And somehow, after all these years and all these hours…
The Path still calls.
Thank you again to CD PROJEKT RED for providing early access for review.
My journey with Geralt isn't finished yet.
Not even close.


Comments
Post a Comment