Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island Review — A Worthy and Emotional Return to Jin Sakai's World
When Ghost of Tsushima originally launched in July 2020, it quickly became one of my favorite PlayStation experiences.
Naturally, when Sucker Punch Productions announced that Jin Sakai would return in a brand-new story expansion, I was incredibly excited.
Now, having completed Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island, I am happy to say that returning to this world was absolutely worth it.
While Iki Island does not replace or surpass the original game's main campaign for me, it is a meaningful addition to an already excellent experience.
Returning to Jin Sakai's Story
One of the biggest reasons I enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima so much was its storytelling.
Jin is a character whose personal struggles are just as important as the battles he fights, and Iki Island understands that perfectly.
This time, Jin travels to a neighboring island while investigating a new Mongol threat led by a mysterious figure known as the Eagle.
What begins as another dangerous mission quickly becomes something much more personal.
The expansion explores Jin's past, his complicated relationship with his father, and the memories that continue to influence his life.
I really appreciate that Sucker Punch chose to expand the character rather than simply giving players another collection of enemies to defeat.
There is genuine emotional substance here.
A Beautiful New Island to Explore
Iki Island introduces another visually impressive environment, complete with rugged coastlines, forests, settlements, and scenic locations.
The new setting manages to feel familiar while offering enough differences to give the expansion an identity of its own.
The world remains a major highlight.
Exploration is enjoyable, and there are new activities, discoveries, and encounters that help make the island worth visiting.
It is wonderful to return to the atmosphere of Ghost of Tsushima, where even the quieter moments can be memorable.
Combat and Gameplay
Thankfully, the combat remains every bit as enjoyable as I remember.
Sword fighting, stealth, exploration, and the familiar gameplay systems all return, accompanied by additional abilities and challenges.
The expansion introduces new enemy encounters that encourage players to remain attentive rather than simply relying on the same strategies throughout the adventure.
There is a good balance between familiar mechanics and new content.
I also appreciate that Iki Island respects the foundation of the original game.
Instead of dramatically changing what made Ghost of Tsushima enjoyable, it builds on that foundation.
Does the Expansion Have Any Weaknesses?
Although I enjoyed Iki Island, the expansion does not quite have the same impact as experiencing the original game for the first time.
Some activities retain the familiar open-world structure, and the smaller scale naturally limits how much the expansion can accomplish.
That does not make it disappointing.
In fact, I would argue that its more focused nature works in its favor. It offers another chapter of Jin's journey without needing to become an entirely new game.
Final Verdict — A Great Expansion to an Outstanding Game
Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island is a worthy continuation of Jin Sakai's story.
It delivers an emotional narrative, beautiful environments, satisfying gameplay, and another reason to return to one of PlayStation's most impressive adventures.
While I still prefer the original campaign overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this additional chapter.
If you loved Ghost of Tsushima, I strongly encourage you to experience Iki Island as well.
It is an excellent reminder of what makes Jin Sakai and his world so memorable.
CJK Reviews Verdict: RECOMMENDED.
Reviewed by Carson J Kelly for CJK Reviews.

Comments
Post a Comment