It Follows (2014) - Review
“It Follows” (2014) – A Retro Horror Masterpiece That Lingers
Tonight, I finally watched It Follows for the very first time, and wow, what a hauntingly great film. Directed by David Robert Mitchell, this movie instantly pulled me in with its eerie tone, retro atmosphere, and that incredible synth-heavy score by Disasterpeace. I genuinely had a blast watching this and found myself appreciating just how different and refreshingly unique this horror film really is.
Let’s talk about that score for a moment: it’s absolutely top-tier. The music is a huge part of what makes It Follows so atmospheric and dread-inducing. It’s got that old-school John Carpenter vibe, but elevated into something totally its own. This soundtrack belongs in the horror hall of fame.
The cast does a fantastic job, but it’s Maika Monroe who completely owns the screen. Her performance is easily one of my favorites from her, and I believe this was one of her breakout roles. She’s vulnerable, relatable, and brings an authentic presence to a role that could’ve been forgettable in lesser hands. The chemistry between the characters felt real, the friendships were believable, and the way the film handles fear and trauma is subtle yet powerful.
Visually, the movie thrives on tension. It’s not overly reliant on jump scares; instead, it builds an unshakable paranoia that constantly has you scanning the frame. The slow-burn pace is surprisingly effective, and the special effects (especially for an indie horror film) were really well done.
Compared to something like Longlegs (which I watched not long ago), It Follows stands out as the superior film for me. While Longlegs had its chilling moments, I found It Follows to be more memorable, stylish, and emotionally engaging.
I genuinely wouldn’t mind seeing a sequel to this, but if we never get one, I’m okay with that too. Sometimes a great horror film deserves to be a one-and-done. Still… I’d be curious what direction a follow-up would take.
Overall, It Follows earns a solid 8/10 from me and 4 out of 5 stars. It’s a creepy, stylish, and cleverly made horror gem that I highly recommend.
Comments
Post a Comment