PlayStation Just Launched Free Live TV on PS5 — And I’m Definitely Trying It

PlayStation surprised me with another pretty interesting announcement today: Live TV on PS5 is officially launching in the United States.
The new service brings more than 100 live channels alongside a growing library of on-demand entertainment directly to the PS5, and it's free and ad-supported.
There’s no additional paid subscription required.
The service includes a pretty massive variety of programming covering movies, television, anime, sports, news, weather, gaming, esports, creator content, documentaries, podcasts, and more.
Some of the programming and partners highlighted by PlayStation include Crunchyroll, FOX, NBCUniversal, UFC, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures Television, and others.
Shows and franchises available through the service include things such as Community, The Shield, The Walking Dead, Unsolved Mysteries, Naruto, Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter, Death Note, and plenty more.
Sports content is represented as well, with programming connected to FOX Sports, NASCAR, NBC Sports, UFC, and additional partners.
How To Find Live TV on PS5
The process sounds pretty simple:
Go to the Media section of your PS5.
Select Live TV on PS5.
Connect your PlayStation account and begin watching.
PlayStation says no separate download is required. The service uses a Sony Pictures CORE account, which can be created or linked when accessing Live TV.
And yes, I’m going to be trying this myself.
I already use my PS5 for far more than simply playing games, so having another entertainment option built directly into the console is something I'm curious to mess around with and see how well it works in practice.
More importantly, I like the idea of PlayStation continuing to expand what the PS5 can do outside traditional gaming without locking this particular feature behind another monthly subscription.
Obviously, advertisements are the trade-off here, but for a free service with more than 100 channels and on-demand programming, I’m willing to give it a shot.
Live TV on PS5 is currently launching for players in the United States, while PlayStation says it is also looking toward a future expansion into Canada and potentially additional regions.
You can read PlayStation's complete announcement here:
I’ll be trying it out for myself and seeing exactly what the experience is like.
For now, though, this is a pretty unexpected new addition to the PS5.
Comments
Post a Comment