LANTERNS Season 1, Episode 8 Review — A Shocking Finale
WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE LANTERNS SEASON 1 FINALE ARE AHEAD.
Eight episodes later, LANTERNS Season 1 has officially come to an end and what a way to close out this first chapter.
I really enjoyed tonight’s finale.
After spending the entire season following Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and the mystery slowly unfolding around them, Episode 8 finally brings a number of those threads together while also delivering one enormous revelation.
And yes, we're getting into the big spoiler now.
Noah Is a Manhunter
The reveal that Noah is actually a Manhunter was massive.
I had a feeling something was off and had suspected that the story might be heading toward some kind of reveal involving him, but seeing it actually confirmed still landed incredibly well.
The Manhunters are such an important and fascinating piece of Green Lantern mythology, so seeing the series bring that element into the story immediately opens up even more possibilities for where this corner of the DC Universe could go in the future.
But that wasn't even the biggest gut punch.
Hal Jordan Is Dead
REDACTED killing Hal Jordan completely changes the landscape of the series.
Even though I had a feeling something major involving Hal might happen, actually seeing the story commit to his death was still shocking.
Kyle Chandler has been fantastic throughout the entire season, and Hal became one of my favorite parts of the show.
His dynamic with John Stewart helped anchor the season from the beginning, so losing him at the end of Episode 8 leaves John and the audience entering a very different world going forward.
It is a bold way to end Season 1.
And now I have a million questions.
What happens to John Stewart from here?
What does Noah's identity mean for the wider Green Lantern Corps?
How deeply are the Manhunters involved?
And, perhaps most importantly...
Where does LANTERNS go in Season 2?
Looking Back at Season 1
Overall, I had a great time with this season.
Kyle Chandler and Aaron Pierre were terrific as Hal Jordan and John Stewart; the mystery kept me coming back every week, and the show managed to make this corner of the DC Universe feel important again.
More than anything, though, it simply felt good to have the Lanterns back.
There is an enormous amount of mythology still waiting to be explored, and after this finale, I want to see that exploration continue even more.
I sincerely hope this isn't the end of the series.
Episode 8 leaves the story in a place with tremendous potential for a second season.
For tonight, though, the first mission is complete.
LANTERNS Season 1 is officially over.
And I really enjoyed the ride.
My much larger LANTERNS Season 1 Review , covering the entire season with both spoiler-free and full-spoiler discussion, will be available soon right here on my blog.
Until then...
What a finale.
And what a cliffhanger.
🟢
#Lanterns #GreenLantern #DCU #DCStudios #JohnStewart #HalJordan

Comments
Post a Comment