PlayStation State of Play September 2026 Review — A Fun Show With Something for Everyone

PlayStation’s September 2026 State of Play and State of Play Japan double feature is officially in the books, and after spending several hours watching, reacting, and talking about everything that was shown, I can safely say that I had a really good time with this one.

Was everything I predicted there?

Definitely not.

Were there a few announcements I really wish we had gotten?

Absolutely.

But that’s part of the fun of these showcases.

You go into them with a giant list of possibilities, hopes, and wild predictions, and then you get to see what PlayStation actually has waiting behind the curtain.

And overall, I thought this was a fun show.

That Resident Evil Opening Definitely Caught Me Off Guard

One of the stranger decisions to me initially was opening the main State of Play with another look at the upcoming Resident Evil movie.

When I think State of Play, my mind obviously goes immediately toward games, so having a movie open the presentation was not exactly what I expected.

But after thinking about it, I understand the decision.

There is an obvious promotional synergy there with Sony Pictures and PlayStation, and with the Resident Evil film arriving in theaters this month, State of Play gives Sony another huge audience to put the movie in front of.

So while it was a weird opener for me personally, from a marketing perspective I completely understand it.

I was just hoping the Resident Evil portion would eventually transition into something game-related as well.

One of my predictions was another big update for Resident Evil Code: Veronica, potentially including a release date trailer. I also would have loved something connected to Resident Evil Requiem, whether that was additional content or another surprise.

Neither happened, but that’s okay.

You win some predictions and you lose some predictions.

That’s exactly why doing prediction videos before these events is so much fun.

Marvel’s Wolverine Was an Easy Highlight

One thing I absolutely enjoyed seeing was the new Marvel’s Wolverine launch trailer.

At this point, we’re incredibly close to release, so we weren’t expecting some enormous new deep dive. We’re in that final stretch where the game is essentially ready and PlayStation and Insomniac are giving it one last promotional push.

And the launch trailer did exactly what it needed to do.

Seeing Logan again, getting another taste of the characters, action and tone, and knowing we’re now only days away from finally playing it made the trailer hit even harder.

Marvel’s Wolverine launches September 15, so the waiting is almost over.

I’ve been covering this game heavily and I’m definitely looking forward to finally getting my hands on it.

Ratchet & Clank Coming Back Made Me Very Happy

One of the smaller announcements that genuinely made me smile was seeing the original Ratchet & Clank coming to PlayStation Plus Premium Classics.

And Dino Crisis 2 joining the Classics lineup is really cool too.

Massive AAA games were being shown throughout the presentations, but sometimes announcements like this hit differently because of the nostalgia attached to them.

I love Ratchet & Clank.

It has been part of PlayStation for decades, and I really hope we continue seeing the franchise throughout the rest of the 2020s and eventually into the 2030s.

Whether that means new games, more classic titles becoming easily accessible on modern PlayStation hardware, remasters, remakes or something else entirely, I just want Ratchet & Clank to remain part of PlayStation’s future.

Certain franchises feel stitched into the identity of PlayStation, and Ratchet & Clank is absolutely one of them for me.

Seeing the original game being preserved and made available again is a small announcement compared with some of the enormous reveals from the show, but it mattered to me.

Plenty of Existing Games Got Some Love Too

I also liked seeing PlayStation dedicate some time to games that are already out but still have plenty happening around them.

Saros received its new Zenith update announcement, bringing additional content including Overlord Rush and the Eclipse Layers New Game Plus mode.

We also got more from Ghost of Yลtei, including the return of Jin Sakai as a playable character in Most Wanted.

Those kinds of announcements help make a showcase feel broader.

Not every slot needs to be a completely new game.

Sometimes players just want to know what is happening next with games they already own and enjoy, and I think there was a pretty good balance of that here.

There Were Definitely Things Missing From My Wishlist

Of course, I had predictions that didn’t happen.

That’s always going to be the case.

I would have liked more Resident Evil game news.

There were other first-party PlayStation possibilities I had floating around in my head.

There are franchises I’m always hoping will suddenly return.

And whenever you watch one of these presentations, you inevitably reach the end and think:

“Okay... but what about this game?”

That doesn’t automatically make a showcase disappointing.

There is no realistic version of a State of Play that contains every single announcement every PlayStation fan wants.

Everybody goes into these events looking for something different.

A Resident Evil fan is watching for Resident Evil.

A Final Fantasy fan is watching for Final Fantasy.

A Marvel fan is waiting for Wolverine.

Someone else might be watching because they want a completely new IP they’ve never heard of before.

That variety is what makes these events interesting.

Something for Everybody

That’s ultimately why I enjoyed this State of Play.

There genuinely felt like there was something somewhere in these two presentations for just about everybody.

We had enormous established franchises.

We had new IP.

We had indie and smaller projects.

We had release dates.

We had expansions.

We had gameplay.

We had PlayStation Plus announcements.

We had Japanese and Asian developers getting a dedicated spotlight during State of Play Japan.

We had some unexpected announcements and some things we already knew about getting much larger looks.

And then you had major games such as Final Fantasy VII Revelation, Metro 2039, Until Dawn 2, Marvel’s Wolverine and plenty of others giving players something substantial to look forward to.

There was a lot here.

Not every game was necessarily for me, and that’s perfectly fine.

A gaming showcase doesn’t need every announcement to personally appeal to one person in order to succeed.

My Overall Thoughts (REVIEW THIS SECTION AS IT REMAINS WIP AS OF 6:14pm EDT on SEP 3, 26) 

I don’t usually give gaming showcases a traditional numbered score.

To me, that feels strange because these shows are so dependent on individual taste.

Someone could think a presentation was incredible because the one game they have waited ten years for finally appeared, while another person might watch the exact same presentation and walk away disappointed.

So rather than putting some arbitrary number at the bottom of this review, I’ll simply say this:

I really enjoyed the September 2026 State of Play.

It wasn’t perfect.

There were announcements I hoped for that didn’t happen, and opening the presentation with the Resident Evil movie definitely caught me off guard.

But once everything got moving, I thought it was a fun few hours of PlayStation.

There were announcements that made me excited.

There were surprises.

There were games I already cared about getting new updates.

There were things I didn’t expect to care about that caught my attention.

And, most importantly, I had fun watching it.

That’s ultimately what I want out of these showcases.

They’re little celebrations of what’s ahead.

You sit down, speculate about what might happen, watch everything unfold with the community, and then spend the rest of the day talking about what you just saw.

Today was one of those days.

I hosted my State of Play co-stream for around three and a half hours, covered both presentations, reacted to everything live, and then immediately jumped into creating articles, videos, trailers, and additional coverage afterward.

It was a big day.

And it was a good one.

Until the Next State of Play

Now comes the fun part: actually waiting for all of these games to arrive.

Marvel’s Wolverine is right around the corner.

Metro 2039 is coming.

Until Dawn 2 is coming.

Final Fantasy VII Revelation is coming.

There are updates and expansions ahead for games already in our libraries, and there are plenty of newly announced projects that we’re only beginning to learn about.

There will always be another prediction.

Another rumor.

Another showcase.

Another game we desperately hope walks onto that digital stage.

But for now, I’m satisfied.

State of Play September 2026 was a fun showcase, a fun morning, and another reminder of why I still enjoy sitting down and experiencing these gaming events live.

Bring on whatever PlayStation has planned next.


๐ŸŽฎ WATCH MY STATE OF PLAY + STATE OF PLAY JAPAN CO-STREAM:

STATE OF PLAY SEPTEMBER 3, 2026 CO-STREAM

๐Ÿ“บ MY COMPLETE STATE OF PLAY SEPTEMBER 2026 COVERAGE:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfTHCqbseeLo&si=w9S4HnbKOo7vF28D

๐Ÿ“ฐ OFFICIAL EVERYTHING ANNOUNCED RECAP:

My State of Play September 3, 2026 Recap!

What did you think of the September 2026 State of Play?

What was your favorite announcement — and what game were you hoping to see that never showed up?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider-Man: Brand New Day Review — Nothing but HIGH PRAISE for Spider-Man: Brand New Day!

๐ŸŒ‹ Avatar: Fire and Ash – A New Elemental Masterpiece Emerges with First Teaser Trailer

PlayStation State of Play Returns September 24: What to Expect